Cranberries and Apples Polenta Cake

by Anna on January 7, 2011

in Cakes

It’s being ages since I baked anything…everything just went down hill since we came up with this brilliant idea to all of a sudden start a diet. Boy…. diets and food blogging don’t go hand in hand at all, as a matter of fact it became rather impossible. Maybe it’s me…. But I can’t take sugar, flour, butter, and still produce something great or blog brag worthy. So my poor dessert site was completely abandoned. I lost some pounds, which is good but how boring was that? Pretty, pretty, pretty boring… So here I am with something to make life sweeter. Because we don’t want the rest of the year to be bitter don’t we? This cake got the yummy award from my hubby (a well renowned sugar addict). Next time I think I’ll use a finer corn meal though. The coarse flour made the cake a bit heavy. The apples, I just put them raw and it was a great surprise because they were still a bit crunchy. Enjoy. If you are feeling a bit chilly check this out.

Apple and Cranberry Polenta Cake

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2-cup cornmeal/polenta
(not coarse)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4-cup sugar
(plus 1 tablespoon for the cranberries)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-cup milk (low fat is ok)
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 4 little lady apples cut in chunk pieces
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a saucepan add the cranberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to caramelize the cranberries turn the stove off and add the apple chunks.  Mix it to combine, let it cool down.  Lightly grease a 9-inch round spring form pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, mixing just until no streaks of flour remain visible in the batter. Stir in the cranberries and apples mix. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into an even lay with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool cake for at least an hour before removing from pan and serving.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim - Liv Life January 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

A beautiful cake indeed! I know what you mean about not baking but still blogging… baking is just easier. I’ve been on a bit of a baking break too. This may break my break though! Some of my favorite flavors!
Kim – Liv Life recently posted..Beef Chili with Poblanos and Beer

Tiffany January 8, 2011 at 5:51 am

This looks absolutely wonderful! It reminds me an olive oil cake that I used to eat from a local bakery when I lived in Ann Arbor. Thanks for sharing!

tamy January 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Garota, vc me inspira viu???? adorei a receita… combinação de frutas e receitas diferentes me encantam!!!! Beijos gatona!
tamy recently posted..Rio Negro

Terra January 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Love this recipe, sounds so delicious. I am a big fan of polenta, and cranberries, sounds perfect putting them together:)
Take care,
Terra

Lori January 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I can’t get over how beautiful this is! I swore off baking after overdoing it at the holidays. I got back to some this weekend, though. I think I need to put this on the list.
Lori recently posted..Shrimp and Grits with Kale Chips

denise @ bread expectations January 24, 2011 at 3:05 am

Oh my! How pretty is this cake! Never mind that I love cranberries and polenta, even if I didn’t I would still fall in love on sight! What magic did you use to make it look like a deep dish tart?!
denise @ bread expectations recently posted..Cold Rise No Knead Oatmeal Loaf

Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio February 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I always do savory things with polenta. Will try this for sure. I’ve given up on diets. They just make me cranky. I am dancing around my kitchen instead. At least a little dancing makes me happy!
Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio recently posted..Buddha Bowl Recipe

Sophie February 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

MMMMMMMM,..what a tasty & appetizing cranberry & apples seasonal polenta cake!! It is huge, pretty & ooh so tasty too, dear friend!

Stunning pictures!!!

I just moved my blog to wordpress.com/ Come over @ my blog & check it out! You must update your RSS too!
Sophie recently posted..A healthy and tasty banana shake!

Pauline March 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Real cake, love it, love the texture too with the apples. Confess to wanting big spoonful of cream too :-)
Pauline recently posted..Cakes For Gamers – Playable Angry Birds and Tetris

Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio May 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’ve never tried a polenta cake. This looks like a good one for desert this weekend. Thanks.

Cynthia
Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio recently posted..Top Ten Tips From My Favorite Magazines &8211 May