Persimmons and Blueberries Breakfast

by Anna on November 4, 2010

in Breakfast

Hi guys I’m back…this poor site was completely abandoned for a while. The problem is…. that inside my head I think I’m actually ‘wonder woman’, I think I can handle 2 sites, my regular work, my house work, everything at once and still find time to look pretty. Hahahahaha! My mind must be ape crazy. Because the truth is I’m so overwhelmed with stuff that sometimes I feel I want to scream. Have you felt that way? I guess you did. I’m not alone in this am I? I created this site because I wanted to learn about baking and desserts, by learn I mean professionally.

I have looked to culinary schools but the price was unbelievably high.  And trusts me I didn’t even want to start thinking about student loans or any sort of loans right now or ever. Then I found some little schools that teach you and they call themselves culinary school but I wasn’t impressed. So I decided to learn on my own. Got all the baking books from “The culinary institute of America” and The Cordon Bleu. And I’m going through it all. God help me… and my thighs. Lol

If you read my other site Chefwanabe you know I started a battle against the blob. So this morning I made this instant oatmeal and giiiiirl I almost cry, that sad little thing. Then I started to look around my kitchen to find something to make that little bowl of mushy look appealing. Don’t get me wrong I loooove oatmeal, but served alone is kinda sad isn’t it? Thankfully I had some blueberries and persimmons to dress it up a little and a handful of almonds for some crunch. Yummm…that was delicious.

Persimmons and Blueberries Breakfast

• 3 cups of milk
  • 1 tablespoon of honey
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 2 cups of Quaker oats
  • 1-cup blueberries
  • 2 or 3 persimmons
  • 1 cup of almonds for topping

Cook the oats until creamy, serve with blueberries, persimmons, and almonds. Drizzled with some honey. Enjoy your morning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Squeaky Gourmet November 5, 2010 at 6:52 am

I do not think I have ever had a persimmons. Hhmm–thank you for the invite to try that seemingly forbidden looking fruit!
Squeaky Gourmet recently posted..It is getting cold here in the North country!

Joanne November 5, 2010 at 8:06 am

That looks so good with all the color!
I’ve never had a persimmon before. I’m going to have to give them a
try. They look like orange tomatoes – less seeds. :)
Joanne recently posted..Mini Taper and Tortilla Pie

Joy November 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

Those are my two favorite fruits. I would never think of adding persimmons into oatmeal.

Jasmin November 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I happen to have both blueberries and a persimmon so I will try it tomorrow. Let me recommend you ditch the rolled oats and try the instant steel cut oats if you can find them. They have texture and taste. The McCann’s 5 minute steel cut is pretty pricey at around $6.50 a pound. Trader Joe’s sells the same item for less than half that price. Try it, I promise you will love it.

Anna November 6, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Thank you Jasmin, so much for the tips, I will definitely check that. :-)

torviewtoronto November 6, 2010 at 8:42 am

beautiful breakfast
torviewtoronto recently posted..Food palette red event giveaway

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective November 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

What a perfectly lovely bowl of oatmeal. Persimmons…I need to buy persimmons.

Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective November 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Oh, meant to say–we all think we’re wonder woman is our minds! Don’t feel bad when it doesn’t quite work out!

Anna November 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Awwwww, Thanks Sommer you are so sweet. Have a great week. :-)

Juliana November 8, 2010 at 8:51 pm

So neat how you made breakfast using persimmons and blueberries…so tasty and healthy…love the colors :-)

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen November 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Culinary school tuition is depressingly high- I’ve looked too. And as I’m still paying off 40k in student loans from a Master’s degree, I won’t be taking out any more…so we learn from each other, right? I need to try a persimmon. I’ve never eaten one- they’re native to these parts, and I really just need to go take a bite… Oatmeal is good for you, and much better with fresh fruit! I gave myself a sugar headache the other day- too many cupcakes over the past few days- I can’t give them away fast enough! Keep up the cooking- I love reading your posts!
Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen recently posted..Sweet Potato Risotto with Mushrooms and Kale

Anna November 8, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Awww, thank u Jennifer, I only tried persimmons this year, in Brazil we have something similar but not as yummy. And I loved it, can’t have enough now.

Adelina November 9, 2010 at 11:00 am

I so agree with you on the wonder women idea… I think it’s one of that assets we women share… But I think it’s healthy and it sets you to have goals and aspirations in life so you don’t become a dull individual. I have not pursued culinary schools for that same reason. I am not the biggest baker, but I admire how you manage 2 sites. I love persimmons!!! They are my favorite fruit for this season. I think you need to try making persimmon ice cream to match the LA weather. lol
Adelina recently posted..Red Lentil and Bulgur Balls Kebe-Kufte with Mint Tomato Salad

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having November 21, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I’ve switched to oatmeal for breakfast as a healthy/low fat option. You’re right, it can be very, very sad. The addition of these beautiful fruits is a great idea!
Lynn @ I’ll Have What She’s Having recently posted..Red Rice and Chickpea Salad

Sophie December 5, 2010 at 3:04 am

Culinary school prices here in Belgium are also very high. Good luck with learning on your own!! It isn’t easy to do it all by yourself. Sometimes, going to cookery school opens your eyes to techniques, tips etc.

Your breakfast does loks yummie & pretty too!
Sophie recently posted..Vegetarian romanesco pasta all spiced up!

MaryMoh December 5, 2010 at 5:43 am

Healthy and delicious breakfast. I love both the strawberries and persimmons…one of my top favourite fruit.
MaryMoh recently posted..Blueberry Orange Cake

Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio December 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

You inspire me. I love how you can make a bowl of oatmeal not only delicious but beautiful…and then you share it! Thanks.
Cynthia at Coffee On The Patio recently posted..Christmas Wrapping

sensiblecooking December 17, 2010 at 10:00 am

First the breakfast, so healthy and different. I never thought of using persimmons. And yeah we all think we are wonder women and can do everything. And run around like headless chicken. I too started another blog couple of months ago in the hope of learning to cook. But it is still there without any recipe.
sensiblecooking recently posted..Crepes- Savory and Buttery