Kale and Bacon Muffins

by Anna on August 30, 2010

in Savory Muffins

Oh Boy! It’s been a while, I know. But all this baking made my mid section get out of control. So before I had to change my pants size I gave it a rest. It’s easy for me to get exited with new recipes and challenges. Baking is a relatively new thing for me and I’m quite obsessed with it. I’m reading some technique books and trying to understand as much as I can about the process. It’s much more complicated then cooking. But I like a challenge. I loved this muffin recipe the options are endless. Maybe next time I will add some chopped sun dried tomatoes or chopped olives. It tasted very yummy, and somehow the kale in it made me feel like I was being good, LOL. I had mine with a roasted zucchini soup. Here’s the Recipe. Enjoy.

Kale and Bacon Muffins

• 6 leaves of fresh Kale cut very thinly
  • 5 oz bacon or Pancetta cut in small pieces
  • 3 eggs
  • 100 ml Low fat milk
  • 100 ml vegetable oil
  • 1½ cups of all- purpose flour
  • 1¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • Salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a medium 12 muffins tray. Cut the Kale thinly and the bacon and small peaces. Sautee the bacon until crispy, spoon the bacon out and reserve. Sautee lightly the kale in the bacon fat, season with salt and pepper. Reserve and let it cool.

Meanwhile combine the eggs, milk and oil in a large mixing bowl and beat together. Add the flour, cheeses, kale, and bacon, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine (don’t over mix it) Gently fold the baking powder. Transfer to the muffin tray with an ice cream scoop. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Belinda @zomppa August 30, 2010 at 7:16 pm

This has everything in it! All the vitamins of kale and all the yumminess of bacon. This is a keeper.
Belinda @zomppa recently posted..Photo of the Day- Running

denise @ quickies on the dinner table August 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Oh my goodness!! Heaven in a muffin – I am trying not to slurp while reading LOL Kale and bacon are fantastic together and trust you to put them together in a unexpected muffin! LOVELY!
denise @ quickies on the dinner table recently posted..Just Pointing in the General Direction

DJ Karma (VegSpinz) August 30, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Those look beautiful! I’m not a meat-eater, but this looks like it could easily be veganized- thanks for the inspiration!
DJ Karma (VegSpinz) recently posted..Split Pea and Zucchini Soup- and a Winner

Angie's Recipes August 31, 2010 at 9:00 am

You took some really great photos! I have never had any savoury muffin with kale! I am totally enticed.
Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Peach Nougat Spelt Cake

Tiffany August 31, 2010 at 10:40 am

Wow, those look amazing!! It’s always better with bacon, although I have never been a big fan of kale, I bet it goes nicely with these ingredients, I will save this one for sure!

Thella @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. September 1, 2010 at 5:37 am

Congrats on Daily Top 9 over at FoodBuzz :) I haven’t tried this but from the looks of it, I’m sure they’re fantastic. They look absolutely delicious :)
Thella @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. recently posted..Hainanese Chicken With Ginger Garlic and Special Soy Sauces

Lindsay September 1, 2010 at 6:24 am

Wow!! Those look and sound insanely awesome! I know what I am doing with my next batch of kale!

Kim - Liv Life September 1, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Looks fantastic! Love the idea of the sun dried tomatoes… my latest obsession! Congrats on the Top 9! Great pics…
Kim – Liv Life recently posted..Blueberry Raspberry Pie

Anna September 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Kim. Your Pie looks fantastic, yummmm.

Dana September 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I love the idea of a muffin with savory toppings… I don’t know that I’ve ever had one (maybe jalapeno corn muffins would qualify?). This sounds great!

P.S. I love your header pic… too cute!
Dana recently posted..Spicy Two Bean Chili

Chocolate Shavings September 3, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I like the idea of kale and bacon in these!

joudie's Mood Food September 3, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I love recipes like this. People alwasy associate muffins with sweets and desserts, bt this is the way i love them. Salty and full of bacon! YUMM! This looks amazing!

Joanne March 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I am making them now. A few typos? Pretty sure u meant 5 oz. of bacon. And I don’t think they’ll need 50 minutes, but I’ll watch and see.

Anna March 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm

hi joanne, sorry….50oz of bacon would be a bacon Palooza right? Yes it’s 5oz…
Good luck..hope you like them….